- developing fire safety strategies, notably for sub-surface metro systems, rail tunnels and road tunnels;
- specifying and interpreting fire and smoke modelling studies (we use a range of tools including the FDS and CFX computational fluid dynamics software);
- planning and supervising fire engineering design work, from concept to detailed design stages;
- planning and supervising site-based work, such as fire risk assessments;
- ensuring that our work is delivered to programme and budget;
- providing coaching and advice to junior staff;
- undertaking formal peer reviews of project work;
- liaising with project stakeholders and providing expert advice;
- developing relationships with key clients and supporting business development.
Essential academic, professional qualifications and experience of the candidate:
Engineering degree, plus a strong track record of fire engineering experience.
Essential competencies / skills:
You will be able to demonstrate strong hands-on experience across the key elements of the role as described above, with the following specific competencies:
- developing fire safety strategies;
- specifying and interpreting fire and smoke modelling studies;
- planning and leading fire engineering design work;
- planning and leading any site-based work.
- excellent written and oral communications skills.
Willingness to undertake short overseas trips (up to 1-2 weeks).
Desirable academic, professional qualifications and experience:
Ideally you will be a Chartered fire engineer or equivalent.
Desirable competencies / skills:
Working knowledge of:
- fire detection and suppression systems;
- engineering design development within a BIM environment;
- interface management in a multi-discipline design environment.