One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we’re helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking.
The Energy Unit, specifically the Power, Process & Nuclear division are recruiting for a structural engineer with an earthquake engineering specialisation and good understanding of seismic soil-structure interaction analysis and earthquake geotechnical. You can be based in either our Altrincham, Glasgow, Bristol or Sofia offices.
The earthquake engineer will be working in the advanced analysis section working on projects in the nuclear and other highly regulated industries using FE analysis packages for structural analysis and design against seismic loading, with focus on SSI, in-structure response spectra generation, foundation design.
You will be working, under partial supervision, for performing seismic analyses of structures to validate their design adequacy for normal and extreme operation. You will be acting as an interface between structural engineers, geotechnical engineers and seismic hazard specialists and be part of a rapidly growing team with significant opportunity for progression of your career.
• Degree in civil/structural engineering. Specialisation in earthquake engineering will be considered highly advantageous
• Experience in seismic soil-structure interaction analysis of nuclear structures. Experience in any SASSI version is required, experience in ACS SASSI is highly desirable.
• Experience in the design and analysis of nuclear related structures for seismic and other extreme loads. Suitable experience in analysis/design of structures in other heavy regulated industries will be also considered.
• Understanding of seismic hazard analysis, site response analysis, soil liquefaction analysis and earthquake geotechnical engineering. Prior experience in these fields is desirable.
• Understanding of analysis and design codes, standards, criteria, and design execution pertinent to structural engineering. Ability to work also on standard structural design project, when needed, will be considered an advantage.
• Good understanding and proficiency in finite element analysis. Working knowledge of NASTRAN, SAP2000, ANSYS or LS-DYNA will be desirable.
• Good writing, presentation and communication skills. Working proficiency in English. International experience will be considered as an advantage.
• Proficient in Word, Excel and Mathcad. Programming skills and working knowledge of Visual Basic and developing macros are highly advantageous.
• Ability to work effectively in teams.
Candidates must be eligible to apply for security clearance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate, and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.