Our global business is multisector, spanning buildings, communications, defense, education, environment, health, international development, industry, mining, oil and gas, power, transport, urban development, water and wastewater.
Equal employment opportunity is the law. English version, Spanish version, Chinese version.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or disability status.
Mott MacDonald is a multi-disciplined engineering and advisory consultancy, with a significant presence in the East Coast transportation and infrastructure realm. We work on some of the largest tunnel projects in the world. As a result of our continued and sustained growth, we’re now looking to appoint a senior geo-structural engineer in our Tunnels Practice to support our current and future infrastructure projects in the Midwest area.
This will be a versatile role undertaking a cross-section of projects; including: tunnels, microtunnels, braced excavations and other underground structures/projects. Your responsibilities will include:
- Development of field investigation program to collect data for use in design, preparation of Geotechnical Data Reports;
- Assessment of subsurface conditions and development of design criteria, Geotechnical Interpretation Reports;
- Detailed structural numerical modeling for tunnels, shafts, and underground excavations including (Drill & Blast, NATM and segmentally lined tunnels, secant piles, slurry walls, etc.);
- Production of design solutions, reports, specifications and drawings;
- Writing reports for submission to clients, including design-related technical memoranda and Geotechnical Baseline Reports;
- Assisting in the preparation of proposals for submission to clients;
- Ability to layout/develop a design program and independently lead and manage a team of designers;
- Mentoring junior/graduate engineers and supporting their development; and
- Liaising with clients, responding to queries and attending design and progress meetings.
Mott MacDonald's experience in tunneling dates back to the early 1900s. Our team of professionals provides cost-effective and innovative engineering solutions for North American tunneling industry with unprecedented success. We’re looking for a senior designer to join our team to continue this and invite applications from candidates with:
- Masters in civil engineering preferred as a minimum, but BS in civil engineering considered. Degree(s) should be structural with geotechnical minor, and/or geotechnical with structural minor.
- Professional engineer (PE) license.
- 10+ years’ experience in the design and design management of tunnels.
- Proficient use of numerical modeling software (e.g. Plaxis, RocScience, Flac, Strand7, SAP)
- Proven track record in tunnel and shaft design.
You’ll be a career-minded individual with aspirations of working on challenging and exciting underground projects. Working in a team environment in Mott MacDonald’s downtown Chicago office, you’ll need a positive attitude to promote the program, our organization, and our achievements.