Coal is an excellent energy resource in terms of its stability of supply and its economic competitiveness. However, coal quality and transport issues are fundamental considerations for coal generation projects. Our advisory services range from coal sourcing, transport and handling, to utilization and disposal of ash products.
Mott MacDonald’s broad project experience includes a wide range of coal types and qualities including lignite, sub-bituminous, bituminous, anthracite, coal slurries, and the co-firing of biomass and other fuels.
We have experience with a wide range of combustion technologies applicable for differing coal qualities, which include circulating fluidized bed, grate and down-shot fired boilers, and conventional boilers.
Our roles for clients include owner’s engineer, assisting with technical, commercial and environmental aspects of project development, supporting lenders in assessing project investments, and creating designs for civil works and mechanical and electrical plant.
Our comprehensive capability and experience cover the following technologies:
- PF boilers: subcritical, supercritical, and ultra-supercritical
- Fluidized bed boilers: bubbling bed, subcritical or supercritical circulating fluidized bed
- Integrated gasification combined cycle: syngas or hydrogen production
- Oxy-fuel firing
- Associated pollution control techniques
We offer a comprehensive range of services, both technical and nontechnical, including but not limited to these:
- Environmental/social impact studies
- Legislation, policies, market studies
- Feasibility and configuration studies
- Carbon markets and management strategies
- Coal sourcing and transportation studies
- Heat and mass balance analysis
- Conceptual engineering
- Front-end engineering design and detailed design
- Commercial strategies and project agreements
- Financial modeling
- Contract negotiations
- Design review and optimization
- Project and cost management
- Specification production
- Tendering preparation/evaluation
- Construction monitoring
- Commissioning and performance testing
- Works inspections and QA audits
- Ash management
- Refurbishment and environmental upgrades
- Cost engineering
- Construction economics
We're also highly skilled in associated cleanup equipment such as flue gas desulfurization (FDG), selective catalytic and selective noncatalytic reduction (SCR and SNCR), and the developing market for carbon capture. We've also worked on "electricity only" projects and dual-purpose plants using heat for process or district heat application.
We work with our clients to develop the optimum implementation strategy to manage risk, cost, and supplier commitment for each particular project. These include engineer, procure and construction, engineering procurement construction management, or multicontract approaches. We can also assist in developing power purchase, fuel purchase, and maintenance support agreements.
We have full knowledge of all coal generation options with the appropriate pollution control requirements to meet all national and international standards. Our customers benefit from our knowledge of additional revenues from carbon credits, ash utilization, biomass co-firing or integrating solar into coal projects.
We have saved customers expenditure by the following measures:
- Use of low-sulfur coals instead of flue gas desulfurization
- Use of ultra-supercritical technologies to offset costs of carbon capture and sequestration
- Ash utilization to reduce lagoon space