Solar energy can be captured in a variety of ways. There are two key methods to harness this resource to produce electricity:
- Solar photovoltaic: a technology that directly converts sunlight to electricity using the photoelectric effect of semiconductors
- Solar thermal/concentrated solar power: a technology that captures the heat energy from sunlight and uses it to generate electricity by making steam that is passed through a conventional steam turbine.
Large-scale solar power is one of the most commercially competitive forms of renewable energy. Many developers, utilities, and investors are looking to increase their solar energy portfolio and are actively searching for suitable sites. This is an exciting and opportune time for all parties involved in the market.
Mott MacDonald has been advising clients on solar projects for over a decade. We provide a comprehensive range of technical and commercial advisory services and have proven expertise in all areas of management, safety, and technical support from project assessment, development, and contract strategy to procurement and project delivery.
We have provided independent technical advisory services for over 10 gigawatts of solar energy projects worldwide. In addition to our technical breadth, we understand the commercial concerns of both developers and lenders and can view projects in terms of risk and interfaces. We bring experience in regulatory, market, and permitting issues to achieve connection, contractual structures, and operation and maintenance, and understand how each of these affect revenue.
Our expertise lies in assessing commercial and technological risks of projects and advising developers, owners, and lenders throughout construction and operation.
- Solar photovoltacis: solar technology, grid connections
- Solar thermal
- Power generation
- Grid connection
- Connection to a combined-cycle gas turbine plant
- Connection to a coal plant
- Hybrid options
- Due diligence studies (financial, contractual, technical)
- Construction and operation monitoring
- Contractual reviews
- Energy yield analysis and irradiation studies
- Feasibility studies
- Market and strategic advice
- Project development assistance
- Regulatory development, analysis, and review
- Technology assessments
Our team includes experts with experience in solar collection technologies, yield analysis, thermal power cycles, power transmission, environmental impact assessment, policy, regulation, and commercial evaluation.
- Carbon credits
- Extensive knowledge of thermal generation techniques and grid connection
- Localized and distributed generation
- Low carbon emissions
- Rooftop structures that save land-use costs