For utilities and private sector developers, we provide services through all stages of project development for both new projects and plant refurbishment and uprating. Our services cover every element from initial reconnaissance, feasibility and environmental impact studies, through electrical, mechanical, and civil design and commercial and technical contract documentation, to project management and supervision of implementation. In addition, we offer services in asset management and valuation, economic, financial, and legal assessments and plant optimization.
Our technical strength is supported by our independence and ability to take a wide view of the entire project in its complete environment.
Prior to financial close, we work closely with lenders and sponsors to address all the technical and environmental issues relevant to financing and to understand how the business and assets operate.
We provide clear analysis and focused conclusions to clearly address the financing from a technical and environmental perspective. Once financial close has been achieved, we provide a monitoring service for both the construction work and the provision of equipment. We support the lenders through testing and commissioning of the assets and in monitoring their ongoing operation.
A wide variety of problems can affect power systems at any time from commissioning to refurbishment. Remedial works need to be investigated, options assessed, and target investments identified.
Mott MacDonald offers specialist services in problem resolution, failure analysis and forensic engineering through risk and asset management, failure effect analysis, and reliability assessments. By providing these skills through our power systems expertise, we can deliver the most appropriate solution to any problems encountered.
Today’s market requires increasingly complex contracts for construction and equipment supply within tight timescales and margins. We offer services in the management of interfaces between designers, suppliers and constructors. These interfaces can pose a huge obstacle to successful achievement of both new build and refurbishment contracts, at the tender stage and during implementation. Our services are designed to minimize the risks so that the management of subcontractors and strategic partners is technically and commercially effective.
- Overhead transmission lines
- Electrical protection systems
- Electrical systems for wind farms
- Electromagnetic Transient Analysis
- High-voltage direct current (HVDC) and flexible alternating current transmission systems (FACTS)
- Industrial installations
- Power system analysis
- Smart networks
For all projects we provide an integrated team under the direction of an experienced project manager to address the specific requirements of any power system project, offering expertise in the followoing:
- Due diligence and asset evaluation
- Electricity industry restructuring
- Electricity market design
- Environment and social impact assessment
- Feasibility and economic studies
- Grid code, quality of service, security, and performance standards
- Lender’s engineer
- Market analysis
- Master plan studies
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Owner’s engineer
- Power system studies
- Project development
- Project management, design, and implementation
- Regulatory advisory services
- Reliability, availability, and maintainability studies
- Risk assessment and monitoring
- Smart grid IT systems: SCADA EMS, DMS, GIS
Our track record
- System studies worldwide for the development of national grids, subtransmission, and industrial processing infrastructure
- Owner’s engineer for the modernization of the UK’s national protection and control program
- Lender’s engineer for the repowering of a major underground railway system
- Specification preparation, tender evaluation, and project management of a 400kV interconnector project in Southern Africa
- System studies and connection planning for a range of energy generation systems and various large loads
- Grid code development worldwide
- Condition assessment and refurbishment option pricing for above- and below-ground works relating to 400kV overhead transmission lines
- Design of SCADA systems and load despatch centres for national and regional applications
- Asset valuation for the national utilities in Ghana
- Master planning for transmission and distribution networks worldwide
- Onshore and offshore wind farms in the UK, USA, and China