This includes saving time and cost, optimizing performance, reducing risk, increasing certainty, and enhancing resilience. It also involves using unconventional measures of value alongside traditional cost-benefit assessment criteria.
We create benefits like these:
- Opportunities for and access to employment, entrepreneurialism and trade, healthcare and education, travel and leisure
- Stimulated economic growth and regeneration
- Promotion of safety, health, and well-being
All this can dramatically alter public attitudes and investment decisions, resulting in cooperation and unlocking funding that might otherwise be denied.
To quantify value and identify benefits conventionally hidden from view, we have developed a portfolio of tools and methodologies focused on social and economic value, disability and equality, and energy and carbon.
We're proud to work on projects that raise living standards and increase prosperity across mature and emerging economies. Our practices are aligned with international risk management codes such as the financial industry’s Equator Principles and the World Bank/International Finance Corporation’s performance standards.
- Competitive and transparent procurement. We drive efficiency, effectiveness, and value for money through rigorous selection, management, and auditing of delivery partners.
- Maximizing reach and benefits. Using our multidisciplinary and cross-sectoral strength, we realize complementary objectives and drive innovation in the way projects or programs are delivered.
- Investing to achieve results. We’re an employee-owned company. That means all we earn is reinvested in our people and the systems we use to deliver successful projects – enabling us to build expertise, technical capacity and commit to providing long-term support where it’s needed.
- Better project delivery. We bring insight into the most appropriate solutions and project delivery strategies based on our long experience in core sectors, including monitoring and impact assessment. We build strong and collaborative relationships with clients and stakeholders, enabling effective communication and coordination. And we bring expertise in aligning funding and expertise from diverse sources to achieve maximum impact.
- Building and sharing knowledge. We record and disseminate information internally and with our clients, stakeholders, and partners to inform ongoing work and ensure that lessons are applied to bring added value on future projects.
- Local knowledge backed by global expertise. We streamline project delivery by using appropriately skilled in-country staff supported with world-class resources.
- Sustainable solutions. We balance social, economic, and environmental needs, developing appropriate programs and building local client/community skills to manage them after our involvement has ended.
Making an impact through the projects we work on
Around the world, in any one year, we’re working on around 15,000 projects. We’re involved in addressing many of the world’s most pressing problems and challenges:
- Providing clean water and sanitation, housing, reliable power, affordable transport, healthcare, and education for the world’s poorest people
- Mitigating the causes of climate change and enabling resilience
- Reducing waste and pollution
- Enhancing and extending the infrastructure of mature cities while paving the way for sustainable development in emerging ones
- Finding environmentally, socially, and economically acceptable ways to extract natural resources
- Managing, conserving, and regenerating habitats
- Supporting social and economic growth
All this contributes to the creation of jobs and improved opportunities for the diverse communities within which we work.
Our economic contribution
In 2014 we started an ongoing process of evaluating the gross value added (GVA) by Mott MacDonald. This represents the jobs and wealth created not just within the company, but induced and indirect employment and economic activity.
Initially we have focused on the UK, with the aim of calculating GVA for other parts of our global business in the future.