Our experience covers the UK, Brazil, Europe, Russia, North America and a number of countries across the Middle East, Asia, Australasia and Africa.
As well as helping clients obtain permits, consents and authorisations, we advise governments and regulatory bodies on the development and application of regulatory systems. In China, for example, we helped the government develop a new national Water Law. In the UK, our staff advise sector regulators such as Ofwat on regulation.
The key to obtaining permits that allow a client to complete a project on time and on budget is by understanding the information that must be submitted to the permitting authority and the environmental constraints on how and when that information may be obtained. For instance, supporting the Highways Agency in taking the A3 Hindhead tunnel in the UK through an environmental impact assessment to the public inquiry and the final approval phase, required timely initiation of seasonal surveys of nesting birds. Similarly, to obtain a permit to abstract water for a new supply, we expect to conduct river and groundwater level monitoring over at least one full year, including hydrological modelling.
We conduct environmental audits and risk assessments of operations and sites that are subject to environmental permitting, and so help our clients identify high risk issues before they result in a breach of a permit or legislation. Our survey of all Thales UK properties and operations was commissioned for just this purpose. It was so successful that our client continues to use the data we collected long after the work was initially completed to prioritise areas for site investments.
The list of potential permits, authorisations and consents, their terminology and the applicable regulations vary widely by jurisdiction at sub-national, national and international level. However, we have thorough knowledge of the environmental permitting framework in many countries across the globe.
We can help clients obtain permits in these areas:
- Air quality and emissions to atmosphere
- Archaeological conservation
- Coastal, marine and fisheries development
- Urban development and zoning
- Flood defence, stormwater management and land drainage
- Historical buildings and urban conservation areas
- Compulsory land purchase
- Mineral extraction
- Solid waste management and disposal
- Water abstraction and wastewater treatment and discharge
Environmental consenting services
- Implementation of environmental mitigation and enhancement
- Best available technique assessment
- Consultation and negotiation with key stakeholders and regulators
- Environmental auditing
- On-going monitoring, reporting and environmental management
- Production and implementation of specific environmental management systems