The Special Services division provides capability in advanced civil and structural analysis, dynamics, noise & vibration, materials technology, asset management and multi-disciplinary project management services across a wide range of sectors.
We are regularly involved in cutting edge technology and applied R&D and are a leader in the field of advanced materials technology for the construction industry.
Our team of materials specialists is experienced in applying established and innovative technology throughout the life cycle of infrastructure assets. Our aim is to ensure sustainable and cost optimised assets through durable design and targeted maintenance.
We offer expertise in a wide range of construction materials including, but not limited to, concrete, metals, masonry, composites and coating systems. We serve a wide range of sectors including transportation, energy, water, maritime and property and work on a myriad of structure types including bridges, tunnels, shafts, underground stations, reservoirs, harbours and marine facilities, multi-storey car parks and buildings of all types.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing support to colleagues and clients on the selection, specification, performance, deterioration and repair of materials in structures and for general construction uses;
- Responding to technical queries, researching and problem-solving across a diverse range of materials-related fields and applications;
- Evaluating the requirements and potential performance of materials for use in new structures and selecting and specifying materials that can meet these requirements;
- Planning and carrying out investigations to evaluate the current condition and performance of a wide range of existing structures and, where appropriate, developing protection, maintenance, and repair strategies;
- Carrying out forensic engineering to determine causes of failure of structures;
- Carrying out research into new materials and to support novel and innovative applications of established materials and techniques;
- Analysing and interpreting data and producing reports and presentations that effectively and clearly communicate information to clients and colleagues.
- Taking responsibility as the technical lead on, and/or managing, small to medium projects, entailing responsibility for maintaining client relationships, project delivery and support of business development objectives
- Carrying out forensic engineering tasks including, if of suitable experience, expert witness commissions
- Prepared to travel as necessary
Relevant working practical experience is required and you should be chartered or willing to gain chartered status imminently.
We are seeking the following:
- A strong academic record with good relevant degree supplemented by relevant practical work experience. Additional qualifications such as PhD, MSc or equivalent in the field of materials may be beneficial but not essential
- A solid background in materials technology and specialist knowledge of commonly used construction materials, in particular concrete and cementitious materials, but ideally supplemented by other materials such as coatings, polymers, metals, aggregates, masonry, building stone
- Experience with the use of materials in a civil engineering context, including the durability design and selection and specification of materials for new structures and the condition and service-life assessment, protection, repair and rehabilitation of existing structures;
- Experience in assisting or acting as an Expert Witness in legal claims would be beneficial.
- Preferable membership of a relevant institution
- Other industrial sector qualifications
- The enthusiasm and flexibility to take on new challenges and, when necessary, to respond by developing and confidently applying new knowledge outside existing specialist fields
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to clearly summarise and communicate complex technical information in reports, meetings and presentations for both technical and non-technical audiences
- A strong personal drive to provide a professional high quality service to colleagues and clients
In addition to your CV please submit a cover letter that explains why you are currently looking for a new role and your relevant technical skills as well as your current salary package and availability. We are looking for someone to join us as soon as possible.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate, and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.