Mott MacDonald is one of the largest and most diverse firms of our kind in the world, with 16,000 staff working out of 180 principal offices in 140 countries.
Our Integrated Transport Division plays a key role across a number of projects and requires a diverse range of skills related to the complete life cycle of transport solutions.
Despite our global presence, we pride ourselves on being able to provide a local service to our customers wherever they are.
We have transport planners located across the UK and are currently
looking for a Transport Planner or Senior Transport Planner with 3 or more years’ post-graduate experience to assist in the delivery of our existing portfolio of work and build on the continuing success and growth of our work in the East of England and elsewhere.
Our work covers a diverse spectrum, ranging from the development of local transport plans and strategies to the planning behind some of the World’s largest infrastructure projects such as Heathrow’s third runway and High Speed 2.
Although the focus of your work will be on projects in the East of England, our Cambridge office sits within our overall Transport Planning South team from where a range of other staff assist with project delivery and advice. We also work closely with high-performing teams elsewhere in the country, including having a close working relationship with colleagues in our Birmingham office.
Much of our current workload locally is for public sector clients, and includes a number of exciting projects for Cambridgeshire County Council with whom we have a long term agreement to provide multidisciplinary services to support delivery of a number of Greater Cambridge Partnership (GCP) transport schemes, We are also working closely with the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority (CA) on other projects.
We would expect you to take an active role in supporting the delivery of these projects which include proposals for enhanced public transport provision for a number of corridors into and around Cambridge, and to support us in securing and delivering other projects on behalf of the public sector. In addition to our public sector work, we are also interested to further grow our work providing transport advice to private sector clients in the region.
As a Transport Planner or Senior Transport Planner, you will be an integral member of our recently established, and growing, transport team in our Central Cambridge office.
You will be involved in:
- Undertaking technical transport planning project work including, potentially across some/all of the following:
transport impact assessments
transport appraisal and the development of business cases for major schemes
junction and accident analysis
smarter choices studies
access studies, transport policy and strategy development
transport modelling, and
the preliminary design of transport schemes.
- Working with other Mott MacDonald colleagues, external partners and our clients, on delivering projects covering the above disciplines
- Project management of small and medium sized commissions initially, increasing as skills and experience develop, with the guidance and support of senior colleagues
- Supporting our Transport Planning Project Director in business development activities including the preparation of bids and compiling and writing proposals
- Report writing, including technical transport planning documents as well as those for a non-specialist audience, and the preparation of presentation material.
The role will therefore provide an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic professional to demonstrate their already well developed transport planning knowledge and technical skills, and to further develop their skills in project management and client relationships.
You must have a degree or equivalent in a relevant transportation discipline such as civil engineering, urban planning, transport planning, geography, or environmental studies.
You should preferably be actively working towards chartership, which we will support you to do. Post-graduate qualifications in transport planning or a related area would be of benefit but not essential.
You will also need to demonstrate a proven track record in the delivery of transport planning projects, ideally with some expertise in transport strategy and policy development, major scheme assessment, and development planning.
You must also be able to demonstrate:
- Relevant experience within a consultancy, local authority, or Government/Agency environment;
- Technical competency in transport planning including in some or all of the areas set out in ‘Job Description’ above – we are particularly interested in your expertise in transport strategy and policy development, major scheme assessment, and development planning;
- Knowledge of the current UK transport policy context and the ability to utilise this knowledge through projects and client interaction;
- Excellent report writing and other written and numerical presentation skills.
- Strong communication skills, both within project teams and when in a client environment.
- An ability to apply sound analytical and numeric skills to project work including the use of relevant computer packages – these might include technical transport planning tools from TRICS through to transport modelling packages, Geographical Information Systems and CAD, as well as standard Office packages;
- Commercial awareness and the ability to develop and maintain good client relationships;
- Experience in contributing to proposals and winning new work;
- An ability to solve complex problems and identify new innovative solutions;
- Ability to work within larger multi-disciplinary project teams across Mott MacDonald;
- Commitment to continuous improvement and innovation across transport planning;