We work in developing countries to alleviate poverty, establish good governance, and increase access, capacity and resilience in healthcare, education, water, sanitation, transportation, infrastructure and renewable energy – while safeguarding the environment and promoting human rights and gender equity.
What makes us different is that we approach problems from a fresh perspective. As an employee-owned company, we have the freedom and independence of mind to find new ways to enhance human well-being and foster social and economic development through connected thinking.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate, and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
For International Development Services (IDS) in Arnhem, Netherlands, we are looking for a Senior Transportation Consultant who has ample experience working on donor funded, international development transportation projects. In addition to technical leadership and business development the role will involve growing the portfolio and encouraging the technical development of staff within the IDS Urban Development and Transportation portfolio (UDT).
- Provide technical leadership for IDS transportation projects, including a Project Director role;
- Lead business development efforts with donors, clients and partner organisations to grow and win work, including providing technical inputs to proposals;
- Representation of the portfolio to funding agencies, clients and partner organisations in the fields of transportation;
- Enhance and maintain a network of experts with required capabilities, specialisms and competencies to grow and sustain our business.
- Coordination and liaison of IDS activities in Transportation with wider MM Group, including our transportation unit and regional offices;
- Provide technical capacity building and advice to staff within the portfolio;
- Support and promote professional excellence by representing at key industry events and publishing in papers;
- Provide thought leadership and strategy to business planning of the portfolio;
- Potential involvement as technical expert/Team Leader for IDS transportation projects.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Transport Planning, Civil Engineering, Transport Economics or related fields;
- At least 15 years professional experience, with at least 5 years of experience working on donor funded projects in the transport sector or related fields;
- Experience in management and implementation of major transport infrastructure and planning projects;
- Experience of working in developing countries;
- Experience in technical proposal writing for donor funded transport projects;
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English;
- Willingness to travel to developing countries;
The International Development Services (IDS) division of Mott MacDonald brings together the multidisciplinary development teams of experts focusing on Education, Health, Economic & Social Development, and Water, Environment & Climate Change.
Together we implement and manage projects and programmes in developing countries and emerging economies around the world. We are committed to support the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and to provide our expertise to help improving lives of people in need.
Within IDS, the Urban Development and Transportation portfolio delivers high end transport projects in South-Asia, Africa and South-East Asia. Key disciplines in which we operate are transport policy and planning, rural road improvement programmes, urban transport feasibility and design and institutional capacity building, along with urban infrastructure development.
To promote sustainable economic development, we work with a large number of International Financial Institutions (IFIs) and donor agencies such as the World Bank, the Asian and African Development Banks, the European Commission and its various organisations (e.g. EBRD, EIB), UN agencies, the German Government and the UK Department for International Development (DFID).