Mott MacDonald is committed to improving people’s lives through creating and delivering tailored development solutions.
We work in developing countries to alleviate poverty, establish good governance, and increase access, capacity and resilience in healthcare, education, water, sanitation, transportation, infrastructure and renewable energy – while safeguarding the environment and promoting human rights and gender equity.
What makes us different is that we approach problems from a fresh perspective. As an employee-owned company, we have the freedom and independence of mind to find new ways to enhance human wellbeing and foster social and economic development through connected thinking.
Working within our highly skilled and growing finance team, providing a broad range of financial services to our International Development Unit, this diverse and stimulating role will give you the opportunity to develop your career with the possibility to study financial qualification and offer the potential to travel overseas on short term assignments.
Mott MacDonald is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate, and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
You will be responsible for:
- Working alongside the Divisional Accountant as a primary support role and deputising where and when required
- Setting up projects and budgets and monitoring performance in the financial management systems
- Preparation of operating expenditure analysis at portfolio and divisional level, drawing areas of concern to the attention of the Divisional Accountant.
- Petty cash, bank and balance sheet reconciliations relating to overseas entities
- Assistance with budget and forecasting, as required
- Checking and uploading expenditure from international projects onto the group finance system
- Support with tracking actual spend against budgets
- Ensuring timely billing to Clients and assembling supporting documentation
- Raising invoices and credit notes on the system
- Suspense account and timesheet maintenance
- Preparation and uploading of journals
- Assistance with project audits
- Providing general financial assistance to project managers and project directors
- Processing staff expense claims
- Ad hoc duties and general support to the finance team
- As the Project Controller develops and increases in competence there may be opportunities to increase responsibilities and undertake the above tasks more independently.
All development and progression will be subject to the personal objectives, strengths and interests of the Project Controller and the availability of opportunities within the Unit and/or wider company
Key skills, qualifications, and experience
- AAT qualified and CIMA Certificate /ACCA part qualified, or equivalent experience with an interest in international work
- Analytical approach to financial data
- An aptitude for finance with demonstrable finance experience
- Willingness to travel to projects for short term missions
- Knowledge of financial systems
- Competent in MS Office applications - intermediate/advanced Excel skills
- Highly numerate, with excellent attention to detail
- Flexible and highly organised approach to work
- Proactive, with the ability to work independently
- Ambitious and driven to develop
- Confident in prioritising tasks and dealing with high volume workExcellent written and verbal communication skills