We are looking for an exceptional commercial director, to provide our UK and European region with leadership and strategic commercial direction. This role is fundamental to the region’s success and you’ll need board level experience to influence and lead across our operational business. Ideally, you’ll be based in our London office, however we will consider other locations across the UK.
“This is a vital role for us to get right because it has a direct impact on our regional strategy. I’m looking forward to working with someone who can help us win, do, learn, and collaborate, our way to commercial success” James Harris, Europe and UK regional general manager.
The application process:
Read the information provided and if it sounds like the right role for you please apply online as soon as possible. Our online application process takes about 10 minutes and you'll need to upload your CV/resume and cover letter – to help explain why you're interested in applying for this role.
If you have any questions or need to send us your application in a different format, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate, and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
You’ll advocate compliance with Group directives and policies, focusing on customer priorities and developing skills and awareness within the Region.
You’ll be responsible for the oversight and management of the commercial aspects of bids and for project controls.
You’ll report to the Regional General Manager and provide close support on all regional commercial matters, including overhead management.
In this role, we need you to help us win; do; learn and; collaborate.
Exactly how you will do this is broken down below:
• Ensure that from a regional perspective we are delivering commercially robust proposals through application of our Business Management System - STEP, with a customer focused approach and appropriate innovation in delivery
• Support units in understanding key issues and securing sound and equitable commercial outcomes in contract negotiations
• Provide support to unit Commercial Mangers to ensure appropriate agreements with third parties are in place, including sub consultant organisations and strategic and JV partners
• Participate in commercial reviews on major bids
• Identify across the region projects where performance improvements are required, and ensure the Unit Commercial Manager has a clear action plan for recovery
• Champion the correct use of contingency in projects in line with Group objectives
• Provide guidance, and where necessary leadership, on how claims/variations should be prepared, presented and negotiated with the customer
• Lead in close out of specific major ‘legacy’ projects and disputes when instructed by the Regional General Manager.
• Review regional working capital, led regional credit management meetings and provide leadership in the recovery of bad debts
• Promote all aspects of STEP related to commercial success
• Oversee content of the unit TPI registers
• Lead anti-bribery initiatives
• Develop the capability of Unit Commercial Managers to manage risk, deliver profit, develop capability and create customer relationships
• Lead continuous improvement in proposal approval, CAAPs, MPCMs and project/ post-project reviews
• Lead commercial thought leadership, add to the commercial practice site
• Put in place appropriate guidance, training and knowledge sharing to manage budgets to deliver ROCE, to manage working capital, to spread knowledge of the Group directives and policies, to develop commercial awareness and risk management
• Interface with and support unit commercial managers and where necessary Unit General Managers
• Interface with the legal department to improve guidance
• Foster key relationships, internally and externally
Measures of success
• ROCE, loss factor, project profit deteriorations, PI notifications
• Use of STEP
• Effective system compliance and controls discipline in project management
• Effective review and dissemination of lessons learned with customers, bids and in projects.
• BMS performance: targeting commercial eForms* at 100% and MPCM >75% across the region.
We are looking for a strong character with board level commercial experience, ideally honed within a consulting or contracting organisation. A flair for building strong relationships across the region coupled with the ability to influence and lead at all levels within the operational business and finance teams is key in this role.
We are also looking for the following:
• Strong experience of dispute management and major commercial claims
• A ‘can do’ attitude with the ability to provide practical hands on support to all stakeholders
• Ability to provide strong commercial governance within both the bid management and delivery phase as well as credit management