We have experts in railway systems, rolling stock, rail operations, asset management and infrastructure upgrade and renewal; many of whom have previously worked for infrastructure controllers, operators, manufacturers or contractors. We understand the vital need for robust systems integration and assurance and can address these.
Examples of our services includes: alignment, trackform, train control, signalling, telecommunications, rolling stock, operations, safety assurance systems, mechanical and electrical systems, traction power, overhead line, human factors and ergonomics, RAMS, fire engineering, tunnels, bridges, earthworks, stations, intermodal depots, materials handling and freight yards.
We also specialise in applying advanced simulation techniques – using software designed in-house through our research and development programme – to develop solutions relating to passenger movement and fire and smoke behaviour, underground ventilation, train aerodynamics and traction power optimisation.
Via our group company MMRA, we are appointed as a Notified Body (NoBo) and a Designated Body (DeBo) by the Department for Transport (DfT) under the Railway (Interoperability) Regulations and are authorised to carry out statutory conformity verification of all railway subsystems and constituents.
Our project portfolio spans all forms of rail transport. A brief cross-section includes:
- High speed – a key role in the UK’s HS2 route, advising on High Speed Rail in California, feasibility study for the high speed network in India, the UK’s Channel Tunnel Rail Link, Taiwan high speed rail, and schemes in Italy, Holland and Belgium for speeds up to 350kph
- Heavy haul – new heavy haul lines, including ports and associated infrastructure in South Africa (Transnet) and Mozambique, the Dedicated Freight Corridor in India, the Trans European Network System in Hungary and Poland and Long Island Rail Road in New York, USA
- Interurban and regional rail – capacity and line speed improvement studies such as Northern Hub and Midland Mainline in the UK, advising government on new rolling stock, station re development schemes and signalling alterations/upgrades
- Metros – Crossrail, London, London Underground including Jubilee Line Extension, Taiwan’s Kaohsiung metro, Baku, Los Angeles metro, Delhi metro, Warsaw metro, and Beijing metro
- Light rapid transit (including monorail) – numerous schemes in the UK, USA, India and Malaysia, in cities such as London, Birmingham, Manchester, Oslo, San Jose, and Tampa
To suit customer requirements we can also provide selective advisory, planning, expert witness and engineering services at any stage of a project’s development.
We understand the criticality of system safety in railway projects and have detailed arrangements in place to ensure that we comprehensively address all client and industry requirements at all stages in a project’s development.
We also offer our customers full detailed design to support design and build schemes and project and programme management services covering all the elements of railway systems and infrastructure as a whole – all geared towards helping customers provide their users with a comfortable, reliable, safe and efficient service operation.