This includes saving time and cost, optimising performance, reducing risk and increasing certainty, and enhancing resilience. It also involves using unconventional measures of value alongside traditional cost-benefit assessment criteria. Creating opportunities for and access to employment, entrepreneurialism and trade, healthcare and education, travel and leisure; stimulating regeneration and economic growth; promoting safety, health and wellbeing – all of which can dramatically alter public attitudes and investment decisions, resulting in consents and unlocking funding that would conventionally be denied.
To quantify value and identify benefits conventionally hidden from view, we have developed a portfolio of tools and methodologies focused on:
- Social and economic value
- Disability and equality
- Embodied and operational energy and carbon
We're proud to work on projects which raise living standards and increase prosperity across mature and emerging economies. Our practices are aligned with international risk management codes such as the financial industry’s Equator Principles and the World Bank/International Finance Corporation’s performance standards.
- Competitive and transparent procurement – driving efficiency, effectiveness and value for money through rigorous selection, management and auditing of delivery partners.
- Maximising reach and benefits – using our multidisciplinary and cross-sectoral strength to realise complimentary objectives and driving innovation in the way projects or programmes are delivered.
- Investing to achieve results – we’re an employee-owned company. That means all we earn is reinvested in our people and the systems we use to deliver successful projects – enabling us to build expertise, technical capacity and commit to providing long-term support where it’s needed.
- Better project delivery – we bring insight into the most appropriate solutions and project delivery strategies based on long experience in all our core sectors, including monitoring and impact assessment. We build strong and collaborative relationships with clients and stakeholders, enabling effective communication and co-ordination. And we bring expertise in aligning funding and expertise from diverse sources to achieve maximum impact.
- Building and sharing knowledge – we record and disseminate information internally and with our clients, stakeholders and partners to inform ongoing work and ensure that lessons are applied to bring added value on future projects.
- Local knowledge backed by global expertise – we streamline project delivery by using appropriately skilled in-country staff supported with world-class resources.
- Sustainable solutions – achieved by balancing social, economic and environmental needs, developing appropriate programmes and building local client/community skills to manage them after our involvement has ended.
Making an impact through the projects we work on
Around the world, in any one year, we’re working on around 15,000 projects. We’re involved in addressing many of the world’s most pressing problems and challenges:
- provision of clean water and sanitation, housing, reliable power, affordable transport, healthcare and education for the world’s poorest people
- mitigating the causes of climate change and enabling resilience
- reducing waste and pollution
- enhancing and extending the infrastructure of mature cities while paving the way for sustainable development in emerging ones
- finding environmentally, socially and economically acceptable ways to extract natural resources; managing, conserving and regenerating habitats
- supporting social and economic growth
All of which contributes to the creation of jobs and improved opportunities for the diverse communities within which we work.
Our economic contribution
In 2014 we started an ongoing process of evaluating the gross value added (GVA) by Mott MacDonald. This represents the jobs and wealth created not just within the company, but induced and indirect employment and economic activity.
Initially we have focused on the UK, with the ambition to calculate GVA for other parts of our global business in future.