We offer in-depth experience for the optimisation of acoustic comfort within buildings, and the mitigation of noise and vibration impacts on environmental acoustic amenity. We work collaboratively with clients and design teams to provide an integrated approach to acoustic control providing practical solutions and minimising complexity. Our team has developed and grown over the course of over 25 years and we now have staff based around the UK and world-wide.
We have been responsible for projects around the world, giving us a sound understanding of the wider issues that cause and are affected by noise; this enables us provide informed and relevant advice and support.
We have helped our customers complete noise and vibration impact assessments for schemes such as:
- Transport – heavy and light rail, road, cable car
- Generation and transmission of power and energy – oil, gas, wind, solar, hydro, geothermal
- Utilities – sewage and water treatment, pumping stations, electrical sub-stations, waste and recycling
- Residential, commercial and industrial schemes.
In the building and architectural sector in particular we have helped clients with project-critical advice on:
- Sound system design, public address systems and entertainment noise
- Building services noise control and mitigation
- Sound insulation and privacy design and testing to ISO140 requirements
- Speech intelligibility testing and assessment
- Indoor environmental quality assessment for BREEAM
- Facade design to control external noise intrusion
- Site commission testing
We help our clients with such services as:
- Monitoring of environmental noise and vibration
- Occupational noise assessment
- Business case for transport funding from government (WebTAG)
- Due diligence and lenders reports
- Expert witness at public inquiry
- Consultation with stakeholders and public exhibitions
Our acoustic consultants work on site to measure and monitor noise and vibration before, during and after the design and construction phases of projects. Measurements are used to inform site selection and scheme design, demonstrate compliance with planning, statutory or voluntary noise and vibration limits, commissioning and dispute resolution. Our acoustic consultants measure throughout the UK and abroad.
We use a variety of software tools for computer modelling and analysis to predict and assess the acoustic effects of construction and operational noise and vibration sources in complex and challenging environments. We follow British and International Standards, guidance and codes of practice where applicable, but also provide expert advice for specialist and challenging applications, such as sensitive healthcare equipment, advanced manufacturing facilities, cultural and heritage buildings and specialist education facilities.
- Tate Modern Art Gallery, London - design of the audible alarm system, monitoring of noise and vibration from construction works adjacent to galleries containing sensitive artwork.
- Emirates Airline cable car, London - noise and vibration assessment of the proposed cable car system across the River Thames.
- Nottingham Express Transit 2, UK - noise and vibration advice on design of the proposed extension to the Nottingham tram system.
- Safi Coal-fired Power Station, Morocco - prepared the noise chapter of the environmental and social impact assessment for the 1320MW coal-fired power station, including potential impacts due to ash disposal at a cement works to north.
- Tampines and Jurong East Mass Rapid Transit Acoustic Barriers, Singapore - optimised noise barrier design alongside stretches of the rapid transit system, including an extensive noise survey and acoustic modelling.
- InterCity Express Programme, UK - developed the Train Technical Specification for interior noise included within the functional specifications of the contracts at bidding stage.
- Construction Vibration Monitoring adjacent to a listed building, UK – set vibration limits and monitoring vibration during demolition and construction of an adjacent office block.