Borough of Avalon / Cape May County, New Jersey
The Borough of Avalon retained Mott MacDonald to provide services for its Business District Revitalization and Streetscape Project—a phased infrastructure reconstruction and improvement project to correct drainage and utility problems, promote safe bicycle and pedestrian use along the public transportation corridor on Dune Drive, and enhance the charm of the Business District.
Mott MacDonald provided preliminary and final design of the Business District Revitalization and Streetscape Project as well as funding and permitting assistance and construction management, observation, and administration.
With relation to the adjacent street roadway reconstruction, we provided initial field survey, stormwater and sanitary sewer investigations of existing size, location and condition of each utility and preparation of contract drawings utilizing AutoCAD software. The design for each roadway including the calculation of new vertical alignment as well as design of stormwater conveyance system upgrades. Other duties consisted of material takeoffs, technical specification design and contract advertisement, and recommendation for contract award and contract administration and inspection services.
- We assisted the Borough in obtaining TEA-21 and New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) Centers-of-Place and Local Aid funding for the construction of portions of the project
- Stormwater system improvements included an innovative duplex pump station design that allowed for the gravity discharge of runoff during small to moderate rain events while discharging runoff from larger rain events and minor tidal flooding via pumps when required
- Mott MacDonald used low-flow drip irrigation systems in all landscaped areas to reduce water use and improve environmental sustainability
- We designed the roadway reconstruction contract in accordance with NJDOT Roadway and Bridges Specifications and AASHTO requirements
- We successfully minimized negative impacts and disruptions to the general public and business community by engaging and communicating with all stakeholders throughout the planning, design, and construction process
- Following the completion of the various phases of the project, the Borough of Avalon experienced a dramatic increase in the economic vitality of the business district that has continued despite a national and regional economic downturn