We have been involved in nine of the 12 water sector PPPs procured in the UK under a design, build, finance and operate (DBFO) model. Worldwide we have undertaken advisory and due diligence commissions for governments, lenders and sponsors in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, South East Asia and Asia Pacific.
Our success is built not only on technical expertise in water and wastewater engineering, but also on an understanding of the success factors that underpin a project’s ability to reach financial close, including an appropriate risk allocation and a balanced payment mechanism.
Services provided to promoters (governments, water utilities, municipalities) of PPP arrangements include:
- Development of strategy for private sector participation
- Auditing the performance of management contractors against key performance indicators
- Preparation of business plans identifying drivers for investment
- Procurement support including: prequalification, development of technical elements, bid evaluation and support in negotiations with preferred bidders, support during construction and operation
Services provided to lenders include:
- Technical due diligence
- Environmental and social due diligence
- Knowledge of latest market precedents of commercial packages including liability caps, longstop periods and performance guarantees
We work with clients to understand their needs, credit approval processes and attitudes to risk. We input to all stages of project development from the provision of honest, open advice to bidders at concept development through impartial development of finance documentation through to a partnering approach to implementation monitoring and reporting during the life of the project.
We seek to increase certainty of return on investment through effective management of project risks. We provide experienced people who understand the commercial deal and the significance of these risks, who perform their services with minimum disruption to project stakeholders. We provide the experience that saves our customer’s money and increases the return from their investments.