In 2011 SHFA decided to undertake critical conservation works to prevent ongoing deterioration of the building. The challenge was to provide a cost effective and minimally intrusive solution to preserve the structure without compromising its future redevelopment.
Built in 1912 to provide power to Sydney’s expanding tram and rail network, the power station underwent several upgrades throughout its working life as power generation technology advanced. The power station ceased production in 1983 and was sold to the Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority in 2000.
We provided advice to SHFA during the period of their ownership, including input into conservation management plans, condition monitoring, repair of roof structures, anchors and safe access paths for visiting groups.
We designed, documented and managed major conservation works to the buildings, including replacement roof structures, cladding, rainwater goods and remediation of deteriorated steel structures including two 75m tall chimneys. The works were designed to comply wherever possible with heritage conservation best practice.
Intervention was kept to a minimum, while providing robustness to the repairs to extend the lifespan of the buildings. The works undertaken has enabled the site to be opened to the public to a far greater extent than was previously possible. Several open days have been held, allowing a greater appreciation of the historic value of the site to the local community. The conservation works have also enabled SHFA to present the site as a viable and worthy location for commercial development.