Delivering tomorrow’s ICT for 21st century airport hub
BAA/Heathrow Airport needed an experienced team to specify the entire ICT system in the passenger terminal building — including data networks, wireless and cellular communications, radio, security and search, CCTV, access control, building management, lighting control and displays, procurement and construction management.
After a competitive OG-compliant tender, Mott MacDonald was chosen to design the sophisticated ICT system and oversee programme delivery.
The challenge with any major ICT initiative is achieving successful implementation, on time and on budget.
Getting up to speed fast
The ICT design had to deliver a future-proof, innovative solution in a multi-discipline environment that would balance user requirements with the need to provide value for the client.
Time was a major factor — we had to pick up a design that was nearly complete and deliver it fast. And as Heathrow Airport runs bespoke systems, we had to quickly get up to speed on design and operation all in a public, secure space, with a need for unusually high levels of resilience.
It was vital to build good working relationships with a number of construction partners in a very short time frame. We worked closely with commercial partners and other specialists to ensure that all objectives were met.
The cornerstone of the project was the technical interface, with robust performance specifications. In a highly complicated engineering environment, Heathrow Airport needed world-class systems and technical expertise and a partner that could manage the technical interface.
The solution: complete integration
Our team worked with Heathrow Airport to:
- Provide stakeholder management support, contract management support and advice to the Heathrow Airport ICT programme manager.
- Integrate the ICT provision in Terminal 2 with the airport-wide ICT system and infrastructure.
- Develop the testing processes to demonstrate integration of the ICT with business and operational processes.
- Define and implement a procurement contracting strategy.
- Act as the design, management and integration coordinator for the project.
- Ensure that all systems — including those designed by other parties — are verified to standards and for cost effectiveness.
- Create an information management hub for Terminal 2 to report on the project, address the objectives, assess success and identify and minimise risks.
- Ensure that sufficient space was set aside for ICT, including communications rooms and cable routes, and that this was coordinated with other services.
- Coordinate the delivery and implementation of sub systems and applications with other building disciplines.
Mott MacDonald has been engaged by Heathrow Airport on a five-year IT consultancy framework.
Value and benefits
Mott MacDonald has met all Heathrow Airport’s objectives — commercial, technical, reliability and security. We've:
- Provided an assured expert service
- Delivered integration and innovation
- Achieved high levels of reliability
- Met deadlines on time
- Provided value for money