BREEAM Outstanding building services – at a glance
- Unique thermal wall maintains constant temperature, avoiding need for air conditioning for all but the equivalent of four days per year
- Renewable energy including photovoltaic panels, ground source heat pumps and a wind turbine
- ‘A’ rated energy performance against UK Building Regs Part L 2006
- Light pollution mitigated by the selection of fittings
- Annual energy bills 38% lower than a standard health building
- Lifecycle analysis addressing maintenance and replacement used to inform design and construction
Although there was a capital cost to achieving the 'outstanding' rating, we set this against the wider financial and health costs of not reducing he impact of our activities and our estate.