- All site works and transport operations were completed well ahead of schedule and under budget.
- Each boiler weighs 311 tonnes, is 23m long and over 5m in diameter.
- Removal of the boilers marked another important step in the journey towards delivering the Berkeley site into care and maintenance.
- The project is worth £27.5M.
- Delivering a robust engineering and regulatory justification for the methodology.
- Carrying out the safe lift of 311 tonne boilers without damaging sensitive structures in close proximity.
- Transporting the boilers through Berkeley and shipping them to Sweden with minimal disruption.
- Returning the secondary waste to the UK.
We provided project management in accordance with the client's processes. Key tasks included:
- Costing, estimating and planning.
- Establishing the overall success criteria, including time, cost, technical and performance parameters.
- Preparing project documentation including business cases, project management plans and stakeholder engagement plans.
- Building and managing the project team of up to 10 people with input from other functions and specialists within the business.
- Preparation of work specifications and ensuring the procurement is carried in accordance with all procedures.
- Obtaining validation and sanctioning of projects via the client’s gating process.
- Supporting safe delivery in accordance with the company policy and procedures and while adhering to statutory and regulatory legislation.
- Preparing and presenting monthly earned value management and technical reports at accountability reviews with key personnel.
- Identifying key project risks and managing these to resolution or escalating them accordingly.
- Managing change control on the projects.
Value and benefits
Our team played a key role in delivering numerous benefits such as achieving milestones ahead of schedule and under budget as well as maintaining effective dialogue between the NDA, Magnox, LLW Repository and contractor, Studsvik.