Our experts are leading the programme management team to ensure that all projects are carefully planned, developed, delivered and controlled in the correct context of the overall portfolio and programme.
- SEESA is a joint venture between Alstom Grid, Skanska and Mott MacDonald
- Key services include project/programme management and controls
- Client is National Grid
- Project size: £1bn+ (over 10 year contract)
The UK high voltage transmission and distribution network is a highly constrained system, requiring coordination across the network with stakeholders such as generators, network operations and the distribution companies which provide our domestic electricity. Without this collaboration it would be impossible to isolate elements of the network needed to perform vital replacement, expansion and refurbishment of ageing infrastructure, putting the full network and electricity we take for granted, at risk of failure.
The growth of renewable generation such as solar, wind and tidal has necessitated a strategy to enable a network, which historically focused on fixed generation sites, to adapt enough to receive and transmit electricity from new renewable sources to where it is needed. This has required substantial reinforcement and expansion of the network in areas where this capacity of transmission was not originally envisaged or designed for.
Mott MacDonald has been instrumental in:
- Supporting the alliance to manage large programmes of work across key regions of the country’s network; ensuring works are coordinated to deliver client requirements safely, quickly and cost-effectively
- Supporting the fast mobilisation and delivery of projects in emergency situations, enabling the client to tackle unexpected issues as they arise and with minimum risk to ongoing operations and the stability of critical infrastructure
- Working collaboratively to support delivery of the client’s challenging capital plan and assisting in developing the strategy to align the network with changing energy generation, usage and demand profiles
Values and benefits
Key examples of the benefits we've provided include the:
- Successful coordination of all stakeholders to embrace joint ownership
- Development and implementation of an improved reporting suite in a dashboard approach across the project controls functions, which has supported the alliance in making swifter decisions, delivering strategic and operational targets, protecting corporate reputation and driving value
- Formation of a robust and collaborative approach to project planning, leading to more efficient programmes and closer interaction within project teams