- Heathrow’s £270m transfer baggage system project created a 1.3m network of underground tunnels to carry 3,000 bags per hour between T5 and T3.
- The tunnels, linking Terminals 5, 3 and 1, contain a track system comprising 960 carts capable of moving luggage at speeds up to 32 km/h. The tunnels provide cross campus connectivity to the world's largest integrated baggage system.
We helped develop effective solutions for some key challenges, such as:
- Managing the expectations and requirements of a large number of stakeholders.
- Differing starting positions in a time-critical environment.
- Meeting the range of project needs, the multidisciplinary nature of the works crossed contractual boundaries.
- We provided practical and sustainable solutions focusing on the key elements of people, process and products.
- We developed and implemented assurance processes and requirements to provide confidence that the technical deliverables at each stage of the project were meeting the range of requirements.
Value and benefits
One of the key benefits we provided included the development of a collated user requirements document to support definition of system requirements, and the verification and validation of the system.