Our track record in bridge engineering spans over a century. During this time we contributed to numerous Thames crossings in London, the Tyne Bridge in 1928, then the longest steel arch in Britain, and major suspension bridges in the 1960s such as Tamar, Forth and Severn. Today we're involved in projects on every continent.
Key examples of projects from our portfolio include:
- Lantau Link, Hong Kong
- Rama VIII Bridge, Bangkok
- New Galata Bridge, Istanbul
- High Speed Railway, Taiwan
- Bhumibol Bridges,Thailand
- Sea to Sky Highway, Vancouver
- Troja Bridge, Prague
- Zhuhai Macau Crossing, Hong Kong
We have experience of working with a diverse range of materials including the more common engineering materials such as steel and concrete, but also timber and cast/wrought iron. Our team is also experienced in the use of modern materials such as recycled and composite materials, such as FRP.
Important as any design is the need to understand the procurement process. Our experts have experience in dealing with various procurement options available to clients – including design and build, public private partnerships and engineers’ design. Our aim is to provide cost effective solutions and add long term value.
Our specialists are experienced in:
- Feasibility studies and concept design – being at the front end of a bridge.
- Detailed design – we can carry out detailed design of bridges in many of our offices worldwide. Our engineers use advanced industry standard computer software for analysis, design and draughting, supplemented where necessary with our own in-house programs and bespoke software to provide project-specific enhancements.
- Assessments – assessments of major long span and minor bridges are undertaken for clients in all sectors, for instance, the Highways England, Network Rail and London Underground.
- Inspections – inspection and studies of existing structures play an ever-increasing role in the management of assets for bridge owners. Our clients know that wherever possible we use our knowledge and our practical experience to ‘strive to make the most out of what already exists’.
- Strengthening – bridges of all types and sizes have been enhanced and life spans extended as a result of our innovative strengthening design solutions.
We're committed to implementing sustainability principles into designs. We've developed tools to quantify sustainable indicators and undertake life cycle analysis.