We're a world leader in tunnel ventilation and fire/life safety. Some of our people are leading figures on international committees responsible for tunnel safety.
We provide leading edge skills in:
- Ventilation, aerodynamics and cooling
- Smoke modelling, prediction and removal
- Fire/life safety and evacuation procedures
- High performance lighting and communications
- Environmental monitoring and control systems
We have the wide range of specialist expertise for tunnel projects around the company. We provide in-house foundations and geotechnics expertise that includes:
- Predicting and monitoring tunnelling induced ground movement (using sophisticated real-time electronic data capture) to safeguard against building damage
- Full design capability in all forms of cut‑and‑cover tunnel construction techniques
- Assessing and designing ground improvement techniques
- Numerical modelling of soil/structure interaction and groundwater/seepage flows
- Developing and using computerised geotechnical
- Crossrail 2
- National Grid London Power Tunnels
- Shuakevi Hydropower
- Bergen Bybanen
- A3 Hindhead Bypass, UK
A3 Hindhead Bypass, UK - The A3 Hindhead bypass linking London with Portsmouth takes the daily stream of 30,000 vehicles via a 6.7km dual carriageway bypass allowing The Devils Punchbowl – a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) – to be returned to its natural beauty. The bypass includes a 1.5km twin bore tunnel, each with two lanes and cross passages every 100m.
Delhi Metro, India - Mott MacDonald has been engaged in the design of Delhi Metro since its inception. The first lines opened in 2005 with most remaining lines opening in time for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. We have provided detailed design services for 20 underground and 21 elevated stations with connecting tunnels and viaducts.