Trips of this sort allow people to learn, to make contacts, exchange ideas and opportunities - whether at a very senior, ministerial level or among classroom teachers. Visits have included from northern Nigeria to China and to Bangladesh and from India to Australia or to North America; and we have periodic delegations of Chinese teachers travelling to the UK to visit schools and meet colleagues.
As an element within a project or programme we are managing, it can often be beneficial for a group of people in one country to experience the way that things are handled elsewhere. We provide a full service – designing the study visit, handling the practicalities, and providing someone to accompany the delegates to mediate and to help them think about what they are learning. We then continue to work with delegates on their return, to take forward what they have learnt in their own situations.
We provide a range of visits tailored to the needs of our clients and beneficiaries:
- High level visits: We can organise visits for small numbers of high level education officials whether national or provincial level. These visits are tailored towards specific schools, key government institutions and are facilitated by our more senior staff.
- Training visits: Often oriented to middle level education managers such as head teachers, we combine visits to schools and local education authorities with bespoke training.
- Shadowing: These visits are oriented to practitioners who want to get in-depth insights into an education system. They combine exposure to the education system with a concentrated spell in a school.
Recent study tours
- As a part of our Haidian Inspector Capacity Building Project we brought inspectors from Haidian District (Beijing) to the UK to help them to get a real insight into the UK Inspection System.
- We arranged for teachers in Haidian District to spend time in the UK building knowledge on teaching strategies and familiarising them with the UK education system.
- As part of our role to strengthen the capacity of India’s National Council of Educational Research and Training, we arranged study tours to the UK and North America to expose staff to international best practice in programme evaluation and learning assessment.
- Through our Lifelong Learning project in Turkey we have arranged one national and seven international study visits. This has included trips to Finland, Spain and the Netherlands to introduce participants to lifelong learning policies in other countries.