We bring leading edge knowledge and expertise particularly in the fields of buildings – all types ranging from arts and culture, commercial, civic, education and healthcare to retail, residential, hotels, sports venues and stadia – and transport systems, notably road tunnels, underground stations and rail systems from heavy rail and light rail to metros and monorails. Our experience applies to both new build and refurbishment or extension of existing systems and structures.
Railway systems pose unique challenges for fire safety given the time-varying nature of train operations and the characteristics of fire loads and occupants. We develop holistic fire strategies for safe operations covering infrastructure, rolling stock, staffing and operating procedures.
We are experienced in identifying and developing appropriate performance based solutions to suit specific circumstances where compliance with prescriptive regulations cannot be achieved, using our in-depth knowledge of railway systems, fire and smoke phenomena, human behaviour and risk reduction measures.
Our expertise includes:
• Stakeholder management including consultation with authorities and quantitative design review processes
• In-depth knowledge of national and international fire safety regulations and best practice
• Development of holistic fire safety strategies
• Performance-based fire engineering design
• Fire and smoke movement analyses, from empirical calculations to 3D computational fluid dynamics modelling
• Analysis of structural response to fire effects using analytical and computational models
• Means of escape design and provisions for mobility impaired persons
• Evacuation analyses, including human factors and occupant response, static calculations and state-of-the-art 3D evacuation modelling
• Fire protection of rolling stock – assessment of fire loads and fire sizes, fire performance of materials and construction of components
• Design and specification of fire systems – fire detection and warning systems, smoke control systems, passive fire protection and automatic fire extinguishing systems
• Provisions for fire and rescue services
• Qualitative and quantitative fire risk assessment
• Cost-benefit analyses of fire safety procedures