To succeed, we must transform our social and economic infrastructure, our built and natural environments and the systems that underpin society, to cut emissions as far and fast as possible and build resilience to the impacts of a changing climate.
And we must work together. Through collaboration between governments, cities, businesses and communities, we can act now to combat climate change and build a sustainable future.
We’re here to help our clients – you – respond to climate change and transform in ways that achieve positive outcomes for your organization, for society, and for the living world.
Managing risks, realizing opportunities
Climate change is increasing risks for society, governments and businesses alike. Damage and loss from more frequent and intense floods, storms, droughts and heatwaves, alongside the need to rapidly reduce emissions, are changing public attitudes and financial flows, stimulating technological innovation and driving new markets and regulation.
Organizations that act on climate change protect themselves and society against disruption, loss of asset value, lost revenues, reputational damage, loss of investment and deteriorating outcomes.
Well planned action unlocks benefits. Reducing emissions can increase efficiency and cut costs, while investing in resilience can provide financial returns of between 2:1 and 10:1, all while helping to safeguard reputation and secure investment. For society, new industries and jobs and a cleaner environment will contribute to prosperity and better health and wellbeing.
We will work with you to design and implement your transition to a more sustainable, climate resilient business model, and to develop solutions that maximize opportunities from the transition to a resilient, net-zero emissions world.
Find out how
- Reduce emissions to net-zero
- Build resilience to climate change
- Climate finance
- Climate smart societies
- Nature-based solutions
- Circular economy
- Energy transition
Climate at our core
Responding to climate change is embedded in everything we do, core to our operations and our projects. We view everything through a climate lens, in all our projects — seeking out new and more effective solutions.
We will support you through:
- Collaboration. We’ll work with you to develop tailored solutions that reduce the risks of climate change and realize the benefits of action. We’ll respect your unique circumstances and believe that positive change is always possible.
- Science. Our advice is aligned with the latest climate science. We can support you to plan for the physical impacts of climate change and the transition to a net-zero emissions world.
- Domain expertise. Across sectors, in developed and developing countries, we are involved in planning and delivering some of the most complex and impactful projects. We understand the assets and organizations we work with and appreciate what change entails.
- Social outcomes. With you, we’ll work to realize the social benefits from action to address climate change, such as greater prosperity, inclusion and wellbeing, alongside resilience.
- Digital innovation. By applying digital tools like Moata Carbon Portal, we can design projects that are more resilient and carbon-efficient to build and operate. We’ll help you to optimize existing assets and systems.
- Climate smart decision-making. We can help you build the skills, processes and systems your organization requires to make climate change core to your culture, purpose and decision-making.
- Practical solutions. Our focus is on action that is ambitious but practical – that responds to the urgency of climate change in ways that are deliverable and affordable. We create solutions that use the world’s resources to best effect, rooted in a whole life approach that considers end of life options and asset repurposing.
Mott MacDonald is committed to achieving net-zero emissions by 2040, meaning that we will achieve emissions reductions across our value chain consistent with pathways that limit global warming to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels. Our net-zero target is validated by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi). Our net-zero approval letter, available here, provides further detail on our near and long-term science-based targets.
Our carbon footprint is verified to ISO 14064-3, the international specification for the verification and validation of greenhouse gas statements. Our carbon reduction plan is available here. Our Group reporting covers our global consultancy business and extends to our contracting business, Mott MacDonald Bentley Contracting. We will continue to closely monitor our emissions and report them in line with the SBTi requirements and have developed a Group carbon reduction plan to deliver upon our targets. We are excited to be working towards delivering our verified net-zero science-based targets. For more information, view our latest carbon footprint report, available here.
We’re working with organizations and initiatives worldwide, helping you to access the latest thinking and to connect with others on the same journey. Click here to see our COP26 events page and how we are supporting clients and countries in building momentum for greater ambition, participating in various events and programs.
Coalition for Climate Resilient Investment
Race to Zero and Race to Resilience
Through Business Ambition for 1.5°C we have joined Race to Zero, a UN backed global initiative rallying businesses, cities, regions and investors to provide leadership and support for halving global emissions by 2030 and delivering a healthier, fairer zero carbon world.
Through our membership of the Coalition for Climate Resilient Investment, we also support the Race to Resilience, a sister campaign to Race to Zero. Race to Resilience is designed to share best practice to protect people and nature against the effects of climate change.
Powering Past Coal Alliance
As a member of the Powering Past Coal Alliance we are part of a coalition of governments and businesses working to accelerate the energy sector’s transition away from coal-fired generation to clean electricity.
UN Global Compact
We are an official member of the UN Global Compact, which includes over 13,000 companies worldwide. We have committed to work towards all of the Sustainable Development Goals, including goal 13 on climate action.
World Economic Forum
In 2021 we became a partner to the World Economic Forum (WEF) to play an active role in transforming energy, materials and infrastructure to create a more resilient and inclusive society.
World Green Building Council
We have signed up to the World Green Building Council’s net-zero carbon commitment and are a partner to the Advancing Net Zero program which works towards total building sector decarbonization by 2050.
UK Net-zero infrastructure industry coalition
In 2019 we brought together a coalition of infrastructure organizations committed to working with the UK Government and across industry to develop practical ways of reducing greenhouse gas emissions to net-zero by 2050. We welcome all who wish to play a part.