Senior River Water Quality Modeller
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it’s employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
As a senior river water quality modeller, you will be part of a large team of water resources and flood risk specialists, working closely with our teams of engineers and asset planners to deliver a wide range of services for UK and international clients. This will give you opportunities to work with industry-standard hydrodynamic and water-quality modelling packages and also to innovate to go beyond the current standards. You will work with industry-leading experts to develop integrated drainage and river network models, investigate the natural processes influencing the fate of contaminants, build ad-hoc assessment tools tailored to project specific needs and undertake statistical analyses. For those with related interests, there are many opportunities to get involved across our teams on activities such as hydrology, systems modelling, groundwater modelling, flood modelling and computational food dynamics. We therefore welcome applications from people with varied backgrounds and skillsets.
Your input will help our project teams and clients to deliver complex multidisciplinary projects, resulting in strategic decisions, engineering solutions and the desirable social outcomes that you can be proud of.
Whether it is ensuring future discharge compliance in light of climate change and population growth, preventing sewage from spilling to rivers, estuaries, lakes and reservoirs or exploring how wetlands can play a key role in reducing pollution, your work will bring lasting benefits to local communities and the environment around the world.
You will be responsible for:
- Delivering complex modelling projects – working with experts across a range of disciplines to apply your attention to detail and numerical skills to environmental engineering projects.
- Analysing large datasets to distil out patterns and relationships and provide insights and foresights to inform effective decisions and interventions to create positive social and environmental impacts.
- Managing projects and maintaining client relationships.
- Assisting with proposal writing, winning work and the development of new business by providing key technical inputs.
- Supporting and training to junior colleagues, where practicable, mentoring and developing early career professionals.
Mott MacDonald is a unique company with a strong sense of purpose to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ business, our communities and employee opportunities.
You can look forward to many opportunities to do great things in Mott MacDonald. We combine heritage, vision and values into an ethos that encourages innovative thinking and career progression, whether technical, management or commercial/client-facing. Our employee-owned structure brings us the flexibility to pursue our values freely. With us, you will have control of your own career path and technical direction, which we will support by giving you the opportunities to face new challenges and take more responsibilities.
Required for the position of Senior River Water Quality Modeller.
- Relevant degree-level qualifications (e.g. geography, mathematics, environmental sciences, civil engineering, or other related disciplines)
- Chartered with an appropriate professional body.
- Proven track record in successful delivery of SOAF and UPM projects (all levels) for UK water companies.
- Good understanding of hydrodynamics, sediments and water quality processes.
- Expertise in industry standard software such as Infoworks ICM
- Coding skills and statistical foundations will be an advantage.
- Willingness to innovate.
- Able to guide and mentor junior staff.
If you meet 80% or more of what we’re looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn’t know we need.
We have secured major AMP7 frameworks with most UK water companies, and we have a global reach to support regulators, asset owners and investors worldwide. This means that demand for these services continues to grow, and in response to this we are keen to engage a talented senior river water quality modeller to drive innovation, work across disciplines in complex modelling projects, support the development of our people and strengthen our offering. This position can be offered on a full-time or a part-time basis.
About the business unit
Environmental and social considerations are central to Mott MacDonald’s Purpose and its offerings across all sectors and territories. Our environment and social business provides essential services and innovative solutions which anticipate our clients' needs across all sectors.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited – which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities – because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working – because life isn’t 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies – for parents and care givers
- Annual company performance bonus scheme – Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at email@example.com and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person’s differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence