We bring technical, social, environmental and financial expertise across all phases of the inception and development of any mining operation, working collaboratively to streamline delivery, maximise benefits and realise greatest value.
From pit to port, we deliver integrated solutions providing cost-effective and resilient transport.
- Rail – we design railheads for loading and export, permanent way, sidings and passing points, and train signalling and communication.
- Roads – we help with alignment selection, planning and engineering of local haul roads and long-distance highways.
- Pipelines – we also look at route selection, planning, specification and engineering.
- Ports – our services in ports include coastal current and bathymetric modelling, ship navigation, design of quay walls and jetties, berth deepening and extension, protection of marine infrastructure, and design of materials storage, handling and ship loading facilities.
- Bulk handling and conveyance – we design and specification of stacker-reclaimers and conveyors
Mott MacDonald harnesses over 100 years’ experience to deliver appropriate, robust and efficient power solutions, meeting the needs of mining, processing, transport and the mine community.
- Generation and transmission – our experts provide the specification and design of onsite coal fired power stations to make cost-efficient use of fuel unsuitable for export. We harness local hydro, wind and solar power resources to enable power supply in remote locations, designing and upgrading transmission and distribution infrastructure to provide robust and reliable supply at industrial and domestic voltages while honing performance with smart grid technologies
- Waste to energy – we provide solutions for the effective management and reduction of municipal and mining wastes, including waste to energy power stations and coal ash utilisation
Mott MacDonald marries urban planning, architecture and engineering expertise with specialist health, education and social welfare skills to create mining townships. We also provide the design of housing, dining, healthcare, education and community buildings for workers and the extended mining community, supported by water, wastewater, drainage, power, communications and road infrastructure.
Health and education
Combining internationally-recognised clinical and educational expertise, we improve skills, health and welfare in the mining and wider communities, contributing to increased productivity, safety and economic return on investment.
We embrace source identification, abstraction, treatment and supply for industrial and domestic use, and management of wastewater. Our team undertakes assessments of surface and groundwater resources, and design of water abstraction, treatment and supply systems for potable and industrial uses. We also design thermal and reverse osmosis desalination systems and arrange the collection and treatment of domestic and industrial wastewater and surface water run-off. With dams, we design of water-retaining structures for water supply, hydroelectric power generation, and containment and treatment of mine tailings.
We develop business cases, assess and manage risk and advise lenders, owners and operators to optimise bankability and achieve maximum return on investment.
Mott MacDonald has been named ‘technical advisor of the year’ by Infrastructure Journal four years running. Every year we provide technical advisory services on transactions globally with a combined capital value of several billion dollars. Many are ‘pathfinder’ deals – the first of their kind or in countries new to public private partnerships.
Environment social and health
Our experience of impact assessment, mitigation, remediation and restoration on many of the world’s largest infrastructure projects enables projects to be implemented faster.
We achieve cost-effective compliance with statutory requirements and safeguard local communities and the wider environment. We have won multiple awards for strengthening the whole-life economic, environmental and social performance of infrastructure projects. Underpinned by a proven methodology and decision-making tools, our experience spans individual assets and buildings to entire infrastructure systems and cities.