We are looking for Senior Coastal Modeller to motivate and direct the team and help drive the business forward. This position represents a key addition to our well-established team of numerical modellers and coastal scientists with strategic links into a multidisciplinary environment.
You will work in a team of numerical modellers working closely with our coastal project teams leading or contributing to a diverse range of project deliverables.
Responsibilities are project dependent and include but are not limited to:
- Numerical model building, calibration, validation and reporting for projects concerned with coastal protection and defence structures, coastal erosion and land stabilisation, metocean, dredging and reclamation, marine hydrodynamics, offshore and coastal renewables i.e. wind farms, wave and tidal power, realignment schemes strategic coastal planning and management
- Supporting project management including resourcing, programming, commercial matters and delivery
- Contributing to the strategic development of the numerical modelling team.
- Supporting business development processes and delivering tender documents
The ideal successful candidate will demonstrate the following skills:
- A degree in Ocean/Coastal Science, Civil/Coastal Engineering (or equivalent), mathematics or geography. An MSc/MEng or MA is preferable
- Chartered or working towards chartership with the relevant professional institution
- Extensive demonstrable experience with MIKE by DHI including HD/SW/BW/ST/MT/AD. Experience with DELFT 3D FM open source and TUFLOW advantageous
- Proficiency with MATLAB and sound understanding of statistics. Experience with other programming languages would help
- Sufficient skills to implement and undertake modelling with a range of open source software (Telemac/XBeach etc.
- Sound understanding of coastal processes, climate change, coastal flooding and metocean. Experience in port and offshore environments advantageous
- Experience in integrating coastal numerical modelling and environmental aspects i.e. EIA / SEA / AA an advantage
- Good experience of report writing and an aptitude and desire to further develop these skills
- Experience in mentoring junior members of the team and taking the directive where necessary
- Some experience in tender preparation and business development a benefit.
- Experience in contributions to project management and coastal engineering, and integration within multidisciplinary project delivery teams essential
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills
- Opportunities to travel overseas in respect of project work
Mott MacDonald is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate, and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture