We work in developing countries to alleviate poverty, establish good governance, and increase access, capacity and resilience in healthcare, education, water, sanitation, transportation, infrastructure and renewable energy – while safeguarding the environment and promoting human rights and gender equity.
What makes us different is that we approach problems from a fresh perspective. As an employee-owned company, we have the freedom and independence of mind to find new ways to enhance human well-being and foster social and economic development through connected thinking.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate, and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
Cambridge Education, the brand name for Mott MacDonald’s successful international education business, is increasing its capacity in Washington DC and requires a Director of Education to lead our USAID education business.<?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><o:p></o:p>
We currently deliver a portfolio of education projects in DRC, Rwanda, Senegal and Mozambique and plan to expand our portfolio significantly in the future.<o:p></o:p>
The Director of Education will provide overall management of our Washington DC education team as well as the provision of technical leadership for Cambridge Education’s portfolio of education projects. The director will also drive business development efforts for new education projects as part of our wider international education team based in Cambridge.<o:p></o:p>
The successful candidate will have a successful background in delivering USAID funded education projects and in managing a portfolio of projects.
Essential skills will include proposal writing and development; demonstrated ability to build and maintain respectful relationships with partners; team management, problem solving, commercial acumen; solid judgment, leadership, and the ability to think quickly in a fast-paced environment. <o:p></o:p>
Responsibilities include: <o:p></o:p>
- Provide technical and operational leadership and management of staff to facilitate high quality project implementation and development of winning bids
- Develop and maintain effective communication with project teams, with clients, government, partners, and other stakeholders
- Provide technical input in the design, development, and quality of activities and deliverables
- Ensure compliance with contract requirements, Cambridge Education / Mott MacDonald processes, and USAID policies and regulations
- Serve as a leader of Washington DC Education team and as a senior member of Cambridge Education’s wider education management team, driving collaborating, learning, and adapting across education projects
- Driving new business development with our existing WDC team and wider Cambridge team.
- Master’s degree required; Ph.D. degree in an education related field preferred
- Significant project and staff management experience required
- Experience overseeing large U.S. government-funded programs required preferably including long term COP experience
- Technical expertise in education required in at least one of USAID’s focus areas: early grade reading, early childhood education, girls’ education, youth and vocational training, and education in crisis and conflict contexts
- Successful experience in delivering business development required
- Technical capacity in monitoring and evaluation and research skills preferred
- Knowledge of USAID project management processes and FAR regulations required
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex technical, managerial, and operational problems
- Ability to manage and control significant activities, budgets, and resources to produce results
- Ability to write well
- Demonstrated ability to manage and supervise staff in a matrix structure. Experience of working in a virtual team is preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Experience in both East and West Africa preferred
- Willingness to travel and work in Africa around 30% of time
- French proficiency will be advantageous