Senior engineer - mechanical
Mott MacDonald's transportation team is actively seeking a senior mechanical engineer to join our New York office to work in the Fire & Life Safety Department. This position will afford an opportunity to work within a specialized group of professionals in the assessment and development of conceptual, preliminary and detailed designs for major road and rail transportation projects and associated underground structures and surface facilities. The position provides great potential for professional advancement and in-house training.
The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to:
- Designing mechanical systems including HVAC, plumbing and fire protection;
- Preparing design drawings and specifications;
- Perform studies, evaluations and preliminary design;
- Prepare contract documents including drawings, specifications and calculations;
- Direct the work of junior engineers and provide mentoring;
- Working collaboratively within multidisciplinary teams in multiple offices;
- Ensuring accuracy of design and contract documents;
- Innovative mechanical design and analysis;
- Providing design services during construction;
- Project management of MEP projects;
- Support or lead proposal preparation.
We are looking for flexible and motivated engineers with a genuine passion for mechanical engineering in the fire life safety and tunnel ventilation field and you’ll have a desire to make a difference in the world. We invite applications from candidates with the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, mining, or equivalent engineering degree from an accredited four-year college or university;
- Licensed PE with 10+ years of experience in HVAC, plumbing and fire protection design;
- Proficiency in the use of CAD software; knowledge/proficiency in BIM an advantage;
- Familiarity with fans, controls, and fire life safety codes and standards (NFPA, AMCA, ASHRAE) with emphasis on NFPA 130 and NFPA 502;
- Working knowledge of state building codes in region;
- Good verbal and written communication skills and knowledge of standard office software;
- Self-motivated with a demonstrated ability to lead a team and deliver quality work within project timeframes and budget constraints;
- Ability to travel to clients’ offices and job sites and be willing to attend meetings after regular business hours where necessary – some travel may be required.
Our global business is multisector, spanning buildings, communications, defense, education, environment, health, international development, industry, mining, oil and gas, power, transport, urban development, water and wastewater.
Equal employment opportunity is the law. English version, Spanish version, Chinese version.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or disability status.