Mott MacDonald’s transportation and infrastructure teams work on some of the biggest and most challenging projects across Canada. We’ve completed and are currently involved in a host of amazing solutions to complex projects; incorporating our values of sustainability and improving communities. Based from our Toronto, Ontario office the tunnel engineer will provide support on underground work projects. You will be part of a team that is responsible for preparation of reference, conceptual, preliminary, and final design plans, specifications, and estimates.
This will be a versatile role, with the tunnel engineer undertaking a cross-section of projects; including: tunnels, caverns, shafts, microtunnels and other underground structures.
In addition to the overarching responsibility, your day to day activities could typically include:
- Planning and design of tunnel projects including initial and final support, excavation support systems, foundations, as well as other underground structures predominately for transit, highway and water projects
- Acts as part of a team of professionals on multiple projects.
- Interacts with team members and assists in the coordination of work among other engineers and design staff
- Communicates with other office, project and client staff
- Works to support Mott MacDonald’s larger tunnel practice - regionally and globally
- Assist prepare and monitor work plan, scope, schedule, and budgets
- Assists Mott MacDonald with project pursuits and proposals
- Work in project teams for the delivery, design, and documentation of project requirements for large transit, highway, water and wastewater tunnels;
- Lead or support specific tasks and other project staff in the development of geo-investigations, evaluation of geotechnical data, geo-structural analysis, design, evaluation and preparation of calculations and drawings and construction bid documents, preparation of feasibility studies for tunneling related projects including cost and schedule estimates;
- Contribute to the preparation of standard documents, such as technical specifications, in accordance with applicable design codes;
- Assist in the mentoring and review of work of other tunnel engineers;
- Liaise with other disciplines, professionals, clients and third parties as needed;
- Contribute to the successful completion of projects in area of responsibility;
- Perform other duties as required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). Mott MacDonald Canada Limited will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Mott MacDonald's experience in transportation dates back to the early 1900s. Our team of professionals provides cost-effective and innovative engineering solutions for the North American region with unprecedented success. We’re looking for a tunnel engineer to join our team and invite applications from candidates.
Preferred candidates will possess the following:
- Master’s Degree in Civil / Structural, Geological or Geotechnical Engineering from an accredited university;
- Professional engineering designation or credentials for registration as a professional engineer is required;
- 5+ years of experience in Tunnelling or Structural/Geotechnical engineering design and investigation for tunnels, caverns, shafts, deep braced excavations and other underground structures/projects;
- Experience working in a consulting engineering environment;
- Excellent verbal, written and communication skills;
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills in complex and changing environments.
- Knowledge and experience with soil and rock mechanics, ground/structural numerical methods and their application in surface and underground environments;
- Experience with the design of tunnel and shaft support systems/techniques in both soil and rock environments;
If you share our vision, then let’s discuss how we can help you take the next step in your career and how you can participate in an exciting new chapter for Mott MacDonald in North America.
Together with our clients, Mott MacDonald is solving some of the world's most intricate challenges. We search out the connections others fail to make; we unlock creativity and deliver better outcomes for the lives we touch every day.
Mott MacDonald is a wholly independent, employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering and development consultancy servicing public and private sectors around the world with over 16,000 staff working out of 180 principal offices and delivering projects in 150 countries. Every day we build upon our reputation for technical excellence by taking on some of the world’s most prominent and challenging projects, particularly in areas such as highways and bridges, rail and transit systems, tunnels, and pipeline services.
We are positioned for healthy growth, profitability, and career opportunities across North America and around the world. As part of our growing business, we want to hear from you: the enthusiastic, collaborative, and talented individuals who enjoy problem solving and pitching in to grow a successful business. Join our team of seasoned professionals who are finding opportunities through connected thinking to develop our Mott MacDonald global presence.
At Mott MacDonald, we are committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We thank you for your interest in this position. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.