Principal Social Consultant
- Help our clients and colleagues deliver socially inclusive infrastructure, services, growth and outcomes.
- Be the consultant of choice for social inclusion, development and research services.
- Drive growth and commercial success through connected and collaborative working
We are currently looking for a Principal Social Consultant to join our E&S team to be based in our Singapore office where you will be working on projects across South East Asia and in the wider region.
Our E&S team works in an integrated manner with our engineering teams on infrastructure projects. The focus is primarily in the energy sector, but we also work on water, transport and other types of internationally financed infrastructure projects. We work with our customers and local communities to avoid and mitigate social risks and impacts and, where possible, enhance social and community benefits and inclusive outcomes in pursuit of sustainable infrastructure projects.
Our clients include project developers, international lenders including multilateral development and private banks, and governments.
The successful candidate will lead and perform:
- Social impact assessment, monitoring, and action planning
- Human rights impact assessment
- Social and human rights due diligence, Equator Principles compliance reviews, and construction/ operations monitoring
- Development of land acquisition, resettlement, livelihood restoration, and community development plans, as well as indigenous peoples’ plan
- Public consultation, community engagement, disclosure and stakeholder engagement planning
- ecosystems services and livelihoods
- Labour audits and labour management planning
- Gender analysis and action planning
- Community health and safety impact assessment
The team works mainly on international projects, and when and where COVID-19 safety is achieved, international travel is an integral part of this role. We also work closely with teams in other regions in the world and there will be the opportunity to get involve in projects worldwide, depending on skills, experience and language capabilities.
- Masters qualification in a discipline related to sociology, social or international development, or a core service area of the team. Bachelors degree in a relevant discipline related to sociology, social development, or other relevant discipline, in lieu of a masters qualification depending on number of years’ experience may be considered.
- Experience in carrying out social impact assessments, due diligence reviews / construction monitoring and resettlement action plans for infrastructure projects.
- Experience of IFC and other lender safeguards and their role in project finance processes and cycles.
- Experience of working internationally.
- Ability to undertake international trips as required.
- Fluency in English, excellent communication and report writing skills.
- Highly motivated and conscientious and able to work to a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrable academic or industry expertise in niche service areas such as gender, or other core services provided by the team, is highly desirable.
- At least one regional south-east Asian language skills.
- Over 15 years’ experience working as a social practitioner or consultant, carrying out social impact assessments, due diligence reviews and/or preparing management plans.
- Extensive experience in working with international social frameworks such as IFC Performance Standards, ADB Safeguards, and/or World Bank Environmental and Social Framework.
- Regional and international experience; as well as energy & transport sector knowledge.
- Project management and leadership experience, including coaching and mentoring junior staff.
- Preferably with a demonstrated focus in large-scale infrastructure projects on any of the following:
- Social and gender impact analysis, social and gender integration in feasibility studies, with expertise in designing and oversight of projects, approaches, and tools for social inclusion and gender integration.
- Land acquisition and involuntary resettlement utilising international best practice applied to developing countries.
- Human rights risk assessment as well as labour audits.
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person’s differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence