Ports/marine structural engineer-in-training
Mott MacDonald is a wholly independent, employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering and development consultancy servicing public and private sectors around the world with over 16,000 staff working out of 180 principal offices and delivering projects in 150 countries. Every day we build upon our reputation for technical excellence by taking on some of the world’s most prominent and challenging projects, particularly in areas such as highways and bridges, rail and transit systems, tunnels, and pipeline services.
We are positioned for healthy growth, profitability, and career opportunities across North America and around the world. As part of our growing business, we want to hear from you: the enthusiastic, collaborative, and talented individuals who enjoy problem solving and pitching in to grow a successful business. Join our team of seasoned professionals who are finding opportunities through connected thinking to develop our Mott MacDonald global presence.
Mott MacDonald is looking for a Structural Engineer-In-Training to join our growing ports, coastal, and offshore practice in Seattle, WA. Our marine structures group focuses on the development of port infrastructure, renewable energy, and improving infrastructure resiliency.
Typical projects include port infrastructure planning and design (e.g. piers, wharves, marinas, dolphins, fenders, boat ramps, breakwaters), navigation and offshore wind infrastructure planning, analysis, and development, and structural condition assessments and repair design.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Assist with structural inspections and prepare condition assessment reports.
- Assist with performing engineering analysis and design for ports, coastal, and offshore infrastructure.
- Develop models for static and seismic structural analysis of waterfront structures.
- Assist in the development of plans, specifications, and cost estimates on projects.
- Assist during the construction phase of projects by reviewing submittals and RFIs in addition to performing site visits to document construction progress.
- Assist in the development of technical documents and PowerPoints.
To be considered for this position, you’ll need:
- 0-3 years of experience with waterfront structures, bridges, or buildings with an interest applying that experience towards designing port infrastructure.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, structural engineering, or related focus.
- Engineer-in-Training certification or ability to obtain within six months of employment.
- Effective technical, problem-solving, organizational, analytical, writing, and presentation skills.
- Experience with using industry-standard engineering and design software (e.g. SAP2000, LPile, Enercalc, RISA, and AutoCAD).
- Open to work on a wide variety of tasks including condition assessments, structural analysis and design, civil grading design, site visits, report and memo writing, cost estimating, planning exercises, construction support, etc.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Effective teamwork and leadership skills.
- Graduate degree in civil engineering, with a structural focus.
- Experience in waterfront structure inspection and design, offshore wind or marine energy planning or design, infrastructure resiliency, and/or mooring analysis and design.
Salary Range: $73,000-$84,000
Benefits: 401k, medical, dental and vision insurance, STD/LTD disability, holiday, vacation and sick time, parental leave and company paid life insurance
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
Equal employment opportunity is the law. English version, Spanish version, Chinese version.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status or disability status.
Hybrid working policy
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team, and personal commitments. We offer a hybrid working policy that embraces your well-being, flexibility, and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person’s differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence