We have assisted a number of clients in developing strategies for sludge or bio-solids, providing economic, flexible and sustainable solutions. We assist in the selection of technology from thickening and dewatering through to drying, enhanced digestion, incineration and pyrolysis. Our experience of incineration covers both sludge and municipal waste.
We can also advise on emissions and their control. our consultants are experienced with advanced digestion techniques, and energy recovery from sludge and biosolids. For example, we have conducted major strategic studies for Thames Water and Anglian Water which led on to the development of enhanced digestion facilities and energy recovery with associated carbon credits.
We undertake detailed studies to quantify the impacts of new sludge treatment technology and the resultant liquors on the wastewater treatment stream.
Examples include: struvite and vivianite formation in advanced digestion plant, sludge liquor treatment options and the use of chemicals to augment capacity to handle sludge liquors.
We advise on the beneficial reuse of sludge, matching treatment and technologies to the desired quality required for specific beneficial uses such as use by the agricultural sector. This includes the nutrient content of various types of sludge, and the use of trade effluent controls to limit toxic elements in sludge.
We provide technical input to planning authorities to evaluate submissions and assist clients with the preparation of submissions for planning permission. Planning permission for incinerators is very sensitive. With our assistance the true benefits and environmental impacts can be evaluated and presented in a format that allows all stakeholders to understand and appreciate them, clearly demonstrating the justification or otherwise for the project.
- Studies on strategic management of sludge
- Quantification and characterisation of sludge for treatment
- Outline design, estimation of CAPEX, OPEX and NPV
- Risk assessment, hazard analysis and zoning studies
- Planning applications; advice, preparation and submission
- Detailed design, construction supervision and commissioning
- Assessment of beneficial use of sludge as biosolids
- Assessment of options for energy recovery from sludge
- Developing coherent sludge strategies
- Developing and costing asset management plans
- Assessing new technologies
- Developing carbon footprint models
- Project Management
- Technical governance