Technologies required for a successful highway project may include conventional drill and blast excavation, road header excavation, soft ground NATM/sequential excavation, immersed tube tunnels, box jacking, and large-diameter tunneling machines with one-pass segmental linings.
Mott MacDonald’s specialized capabilities in large-bore tunneling are finding increasing application across North America. Together with our comprehensive civil, geotechnical, structural, and transportation engineering expertise, we bring critical knowledge and experience to the early stages of projects.
A range of tunneling expertise
Our highway tunnel experience covers the full range of geotechnical, environmental, civil, structural, electrical, mechanical, and ventilation disciplines, including the following elements:
- Routing studies
- Transportation planning and modeling
- Site characterization
- Ground performance assessments
- Sequential excavation methods
- Lining and waterproofing design
- Lighting and variable message signage
- Ventilation and fire/life safety analyses
- Emergency egress analysis
- Security engineering
- Sustainable solutions