We have a long and successful track record of delivering services at every stage of contaminated land management; from initial due diligence and desk study through to investigation, risk assessment, remediation and post-completion monitoring. We understand the complex regulatory frameworks surrounding contaminated land issues in different jurisdictions and can work with regulators to achieve solutions that satisfy legal requirements while minimising delays to development projects.
We offer a range of risk assessment and management tools for potentially contaminated land and groundwater, beginning with desk studies based on archive materials, to site audits and intrusive ground investigations, to understanding and management of risks by modelling, risk assessment, remediation and monitoring. For example, we assessed contaminated land risks and associated liabilities on over 150 UK sites for the Thales Group. Our use of a geographical information system allowed understanding of risks through phased collection of data where uncertainty is present and a cost effective approach to a large property portfolio that prioritises sites for investigation.
We help developers resolve the contamination issues that add uncertainty to development costs and schedules. For the prestigious Cambridge cb1 development, we saved our client money and time by our combined geo-environmental, geotechnical, environmental and engineering services, all delivered from a local office.
Where a site is known to be contaminated, we help developers design efficient and evidence-based remediation schemes. We provided remediation engineering for redevelopment of the Fengate Sewage Treatment in Peterborough, UK for housing, including geotechnical, remediation, highways, drainage and building services. Evidence -based agreement with regulators yielded cost savings and improved buildability.
Our teams of contaminated land experts in centres of expertise in the UK, Middle East and Asia include environmental engineers, chemists and geologists, who work closely with our planning, geotechnical, landscape and infrastructure teams to improve the overall value of regenerated land. Our expertise is recognised globally. For example, we have developed guidance for management of contaminated land in India and Uganda.
- Advice on compliance with regulations and planning conditions
- Due diligence
- Emergency response advice and project management
- Environmental insurance
- Expert witness and expert advice services
- Geostatistical analysis
- Geotechnical assessment, analysis and design
- Ground information databases and risk mapping
- Health, safety and environmental management of contaminated land
- Environmental impact assessment
- Legislative and civil liability advice
- Materials management plans for sustainable reuse of materials
- Modelling of contaminant fate and transport
- Regulatory consultation
- Remediation design, contract preparation, site supervision, project management
- Quantitative risk assessment, management and mitigation