Good public sector governance is essential for sustainable development. Real, lasting change doesn’t take place in development programmes in isolation, it must be underpinned by clear and open government processes, strong, accountable public systems, and active public participation in those processes and systems.
At Mott MacDonald, we don’t just design roads or school curricula, we also work with the institutions responsible for delivering those services, and the people who demand and receive those services. We deliver the whole package: supporting public sector organisations to focus on their goals and responsibilities, delivering better services to the public, and developing tools for measuring and improving their performance. At the same time, we help increase citizens’ involvement in the decision-making process and support governments to be held accountable for the policy choices they make.
Strengthened governance runs through all our major programmes
- We help build political will for change – garnering support among senior decision-makers and identifying potential catalysts for reform.
- We support policymakers to ensure reforms are clearly defined, sensibly costed, carefully planned and well communicated.
- We advise governments on ways of strengthening laws and regulations in support of policy reform – nurturing the processes that help ideas become reality.
- We help strengthen the capacity and confidence of citizens to hold to account those who plan, finance and deliver their services.
- We ensure that all our programme interventions are embedded in local realities and adapted to the capacities and aspirations of the countries in which we operate.